Executor’s Checklist for Estate Returns
- Full name, last address, citizenship, marital status and social insurance number (SIN) of the deceased.
- A copy of the final tax return prepared for the deceased and a copy of the assessment/reassessment.
- A copy of the probate documents and a list of assets and liabilities that would have been filed with it. Please provide a valuation of real estate at the fair market value, not just the tax assessed value.
- If the Will was not probated, please provide a list of all the assets and liabilities held as at the date of death at fair market value.
- Bank statements for the estate account.
- Investment statements for all registered and non-registered ac-counts as well as the investment broker’s contact information. You may wish to provide advance authorization for us to com-municate with them directly in case we need any additional information.
- T4A(P) for the Death Benefit received, if applicable.
- T-Slips received, rental income, sale of investments (subse-quent to death), foreign income.
- Documents for any sale of assets.
- Donation receipts for charitable giving bequeathed in the Will.
- Provide the name, address and SIN of all beneficiaries of the estate and confirm if there are any minor or non-resident ben-eficiaries.
- Details of any completed or planned distributions of capital to beneficiaries.
- Details of any other income producing property or other rel-evant information that would aid in preparing the estate tax return.
Executor’s Checklist for Terminal Returns
For the terminal return, if the death occurs between January 1 and October 31 — the deadline for filing and paying any tax owing is April 30 of the following year.
If the death occurs between November 1 and December 31 — the deadline is 6 months after the date of the death.