The general deadline for filing personal income tax returns and paying any taxes owing is April 30 of the following year.
However, if you are self-employed, the filing deadline for you (and your spouse or common-law partner) is extended to June 15 of the following year.
If you are a non-resident filing a non-resident tax return in respect of rents received in Canada, the filing deadline is June 30 where a Form NR6 was filed, otherwise the return is due within two years from the end of the year in which the rental income is received.
Just remember, any taxes you owe are still due by April 30, so make sure you pay your taxes by that date to avoid arrears interest charges. If you owe taxes and your return is late, you will be assessed a penalty and interest on the unpaid balance of tax due.
If you find the deadline is fast approaching and you still haven’t received receipts or information slips for some items, file your return anyway with a cheque for the estimated tax owing and an explanation. You are responsible for making any necessary adjustment to your tax return promptly when the documents become available. Failure to do so might result in additional penalties for filing your tax return with incomplete and incorrect information.
For more really useful tax tips, visit

The information presented is only of a general nature, may omit many details and special rules, is current only as of its published date, and accordingly cannot be regarded as legal or tax advice. Please contact our office for more information on this subject and how it pertains to your specific tax or financial situation.

This post has been prepared for general information purposes. It is not advice. The information presented may not fit your unique situation, please consult one of our trusted business advisors at RHN CPA for further clarification and interpretation of your particular circumstances.